Friday, June 3, 2011

I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks. ~Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird.

I have no color prejudices nor caste prejudices nor creed prejudices.  All I care to know is that a man is a human being, and that is enough for me; he can't be any worse.  ~Mark Twain


I have decided to write today about something that truly angers me and I want to state before I start -you may disagree but I am right."
I have grown up and been surrounded by many people that I truly love(and some that I don't care for at all) that carry this despicable trait.
I just want to state today that anyone who claims to be a Christian and is predjudiced needs to know without a doubt that Jesus would never condone this behavior.
God does not show favoritism but accepts men from every nation who fear him and do what is right. (Acts 10:34-35)
God does not judge by external appearance. (Galatians 2:6)
Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God. (Romans 15:7)
“You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” James 2:8
I know I grew up in Utah and live in Idaho and we do not have as much of an opportunity to see this here, but I have seen it and I have heard it as well. As a kid my grandpa would say things sometimes about a certain ethnic group that lived in our town and even as a small child I could feel in my heart that this kind of thinking and feeling was not good. It left me with a bad feeling and I just knew it.
There are people who want to tell me that their children shouldn't go to school where my daughter teaches as there are "too many ----- over there"
"oh he is just a lazy ----"
" ---- and so is a freak he is gay"
" you would understand if you lived ---- the ----- here are different"
oh and here is one for some of you.. catch this if you think you have a place to stand.. "well thats a ------ * Mormon, Catholic, Jew* (I have heard all of these) for you"
I understand that people think they are justified in lumping an entire group together due to some experience they have had or some perception they were given or even the way they were brought up... This is untrue.. It is not ok.

Prejudices are the chains forged by ignorance to keep men apart.  ~Countess of Blessington

You are an ignorant fool. Clean up your act.. try to gain forgiveness and get some brains. I am sorry this is not a fun or uplifting subject but I heard something today that made me want to scream so I am doing so on the blog .. Can you hear it??
Then as I used to tell my children growing up-Pay Attention and LEARN

If you judge people you have no time to love them.  ~Mother Teresa

1 comment:

Sharlee said...

Mom, why do you always do this to me?!?! I was seriously just going to do a post on all things Mormon. I had it all planned out, I was going to start with Misty and I discussing whether or not my hair looked "Mormon" all of the time in college, maybe even high school. It was going to be hilarious. Thanks a lot! Good post, though. Oh and you need to read The Help and then suggest it to whomever you were talking about in this post!