Monday, June 20, 2011

Crafting...

First of all don't you all love it when my mom chastises you for not commenting on my blog. I do. It's as if she fears I'm getting the cold shoulder from mean girls in high school or something and she's "going to put a stop to it," to use a favorite phrase of hers. It just makes me smile. Mom has my back, always!

Something you should all know about me and if you don't, you should:
I don't craft.
Like at all.
More importantly, I am more than okay with this. I have zero desire to craft.
First of all, I do homemade gifts and things like that but that's not the same in my mind. Not at all.

I don't decorate my house in blocks of wood either painted in chalk board paint or mod-podged in scrapbook paper and vinyl lettering that declare the weekly menu, the day of the week, what I believe, FHE responsibilities, etc...
I'm not saying anything about those that do. It's definitely a talent and takes a lot of patience. They usually have homes that look like someone really cares.
It's just not my thing and here's why:
-You don't stop. That's the problem. If you are a crafter you don't just make a menu. That would be fine with me. No! You have to continue playing and making more and more things. Then you have to find somewhere to put those things. Rotate? If I rotate, I have to find somewhere to store the things I'm not using. I barely have Christmas decorations. I just can't handle the constant rotation of things seasonal...versatile, etc. Call me uncreative, but it's just how I am.
-I'm impatient with crafting. I don't enjoy the process. I want the end result and I want it now. This usually leaves me with a sloppy thing that would have been better crafted by one of my students.
-Especially in my decorating style, I prefer to keep things clean and simple.
-Dust. I don't like dust and these extra things laying around my house just collect dust and that just gives me more work to do.
-Craft rooms. Talk about overwhelming. An entire room full of supplies. Keeping that room up to par for the latest fad would add up to a lot of money and fast. I cannot imagine having an entire room of scrap book paper, stamps, ribbon, etc. To some people, this is an absolute dream. I could not relate any less.
-The cost, which I basically just discussed. Seriously, though, the cost! Oh my goodness....money money money. I have the hardest time getting handmade cards as gifts. They are usually wonderfully creative and pretty and they give you a temporary thrill. Let's be honest, though, it's a card. A card. I will throw it away or feel bad about throwing it away and I will hold onto it and it will clutter and then I'll be resentful about the card I once found beautiful. It only adds flam to the fire when you take into consideration how much money someone probably spent to make said card...and then add TIME on top of that. It's just too much pressure on the recipient.

At first I felt that my lack of desire in the crafting department was blamed on my mom. I have even attended an enrichment night crafting thing here and there. It is just not in the stars for me. It's the truth. I know for myself: crafting is not my thing.

No comments: