Wednesday, July 13, 2011

That's Not Ladylike?!?!

pin
Some thoughts on modesty.
And I'll be honest--I'm posting this because I want feedback.
In my church we teach modest dress.
We know that we are daughters of God and our bodies are temples and should be treated with the utmost respect.
I concur.
I practice this.
I respect myself and my Heavenly Father, therefore I dress modestly.
I also think it's important to dress attractively. 
Again, I'm divine and I respect myself.
Dress. is. important.
You can look sexy and be modest.
Hello Jackie O?
Hello Kate Middleton?
Class is attractive...or at least I think so.

At a recent swimming activity for both young men/young women the young women and their leaders were told that they had to wear a one piece swimming suit.
Fine. I have one. I hate it, but okay.
The girls asked if they could wear tankinis. 
I find this completely reasonable.
Way to go girls!
All of our girls are capable of pulling of a bikini.
They have chosen to purchase a modest swimsuit!
WAY TO GO!

Well, they were told that if they'd like to wear a bikini they needed to
safety pin the top to the bottom.
If it was pulling too much they would need to put a tank top over top.
Because when you move around your stomach can show.
And we need to keep the boys' minds where they should be.

Since when did a one piece swimming suit mean that boys won't think bad thoughts?
That's what I'm wondering.
And the girls have chosen a modest swimsuit.
They are doing their part.
Tankinis are modest...and often times more modest than some one piece suits.
My thoughts are this:

First of all, the girls should be taught to dress modestly out of respect for themselves and their Heavenly Father.
I'm sick and tired of telling the girls to dress modestly for the boys' sake.
The girls should do their part for themselves.
The boys' can take care of themselves.

Also, I feel that we are in essence punishing the girls or making them feel like they did something wrong in purchasing a modest swimsuit.

I'm not challenging my church or it's leaders.
Sometimes people bring their own beliefs to the table at church.
So I'm asking:
What do you think?

3 comments:

The Cluffs said...

We just had an activity at lake lowell and had some interesting swim attire there. We decided that as long as their stomachs weren't showing and their boobs were reigned in they were good. There were a few takinis but they were modest and super cute and no belly was hanging out. Although I grew up LDS my mom did not and did not push me into wearing modest clothes because she didn't really know all the "guidelines".
I think that it is dumb they tell girls to dress modest so boys can keep themselves or thoughts under control. Yes, boys think more with their boy parts than their brains a lot of times but girls should do it because it shows respect for their bodies and so they are comfortable and not always pulling their booty shorts down in the crotch or pulling a tanktop up to cover their girls.
We even had a very inactive girl come that was wearing a bikini but knew that it would be inappropriate to take off her tank top. She asked if she could take off her tiny swim shorts and we said as long as she wasn't wearing a thong underneath. LOL!
So, in short, I completely agree with you.

MumofElderLarson said...

Shar
You already know my opinion on this but still I want to comment. Of course I do :)
In my opinion-Yes the girls have taken the responsibility for themselves. A tankini is a modest swim suit. They are showing respect for themselves and others with this choice.
I feel MEN and Women, Girls and Boys are all responsible for their own actions.
We need to stop perpetuating the myth that our actions are CAUSED by other people. We are all in control and our choices are owned by us.
So bottom line..we need to hold the responsible parties accountable. a woman even if she is immodestly dressed is not the cause of a mans thoughts or deeds. He is responsible for himself.

Misty said...

I kind of feel like all swimsuits are relatively immodest. No matter what you are showing more of yourself then normal, upper thighs, cleavage, many times your tummy if you're wearing a tankini. My mother wore a bikini after having me. It was her goal to get back in shape enough to wear one. I also have a bikini:) I don't consider it immodest at all and I still feel like I'm classy. I had a goal to wear one before I had a baby and I did. I didn't look phenomenal, but I didn't look terrible either and I bought it for me not anyone else. I am so heavily endowed that I've never been able to find a tankini that was actually supportive and I've struggled to find one pieces that are even supportive.

I will say that Grace will not be wearing a bikini anytime in the near future:) Something about toddlers running around wearing clothing a woman would wear rubs me wrong (sorry, off subject):).

I do agree though that girls shouldn't dress modestly for the boys, but for themselves.