Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Answer This...

So, Shane and Kylie are getting married.
I'm the Maid of Honor, can you believe it?
It would make sense as Kylie is a follower of this blog and Shane is not.
In fact, he refuses to be.
See how this is.
Do you see how incredibly fortunate I am to have a future sister-in-law that I like...
or I would probably lose all ties with my brother.
I love him dearly, you know this.
He's just...such.a.boy.

Anyway...I am throwing a shower for the bride-to-be in August.
What are your words of wisdom for a young bride to be?
And if you're not married, what are your words of wisdom for one living on her "own" for the first time?

I say this:
Register and spend your gift money WELL.
That's my only suggestion.
Well that and be friends, but I'm pretty certain that's a given!
As a newlywed myself, I don't have a ton of advice as I'm certainly no expert.

Why so important to register well?
Because Zach and I was so afraid that we were going to be poor that I thought we needed everything
We certainly couldn't register for the best of everything because then we wouldn't get it...so we registered for middle-ground everything (except bedding...we do have some decent bedding.)
I even remember my Aunt Taunya saying to me: We bought you a bunch of stuff because you didn't register for anything expensive.
So not even two years into the marriage and we need to replace things. So I say:  register well.
I know...do I ever seem shallow? That's my marriage advice as maid of honor.
So help me out....
What are your words of wisdom for a young bride to be?

3 comments:

The Hodgepodges said...

I totally aree that you can dress modestly, classy, and still look sexy. Maybe it's because I was also brought up with the same views so what you said makes sense to me. I think that boys will be boys and will have the thoughts no matter what, so girls need to make good choices for themselves not because of a boy. If girls aren't taught young to make good choices in clothing then when they get to college and have more freedom they are in for it. Ok, enough with my rambling. Off to comment on your other blog.

The Hodgepodges said...

DOH! So the above comment was meant for your modesty post, obviously. Not really sure what I did there. =) Anyway, as far as advice goes. I know EVERYONE will say don't go to bed angry. I got it a million times at my bridal shower. But, honestly I feel like I tried that and it just did not work for me. We could be up until 2am and get no where because we were just so exhausted and things would start to not make sense. I felt if I would just go to sleep, by morning I would be a lot more reasonable and calm. We are able to actually discuss whatever is wrong instead of argue. My other bit of advice is to always no matter what say I love you when saying goodbye. Even if you are upset with each other. Life is too short and you never know what could happen. I want to know that if something bad where to happen the last words we said to each other were I love you. =)

Misty said...

Selena's comment about not going to bed angry made me laugh. I actually agree. Sometimes it's best just to go to bed and deal with it in the morning when you are more rested and more reasonable. I think my biggest piece of advice is just to make sure that no matter how busy your lives get that you still make time to do stuff just the two of you. I'm pretty cliche.