Monday, May 16, 2011

Answer This....

Okay, first and foremost.
I'm in blogging rut?
Do you know why?
I know you're reading, but you're not commenting.
And this is making me sad.
Especially when my husband says to me, "It makes me sad that nobody ever comments on your blog."

Listen, people. I don't need my husband's pity.
I only need his love and support.
So tonight, I spent some time teaching myself how to spruce up my blog a bit?
What do you think?

So if you are reading this today, make yourself known.
If I know you but we haven't spoken in years...tell me.
If we've never met tell me...
and of course...if you're my mom, you can still comment.

Today's Question:

Read any good books lately?

I ask this question because:
a). I am always excited to hear about a good book.

b). I haven't.

Okay...so it started out with Water for Elephants
I am probably the only reader of this book who did not LOVE it.
I heard everyone rave and rave about it.
It got wonderful reviews.
So I bought it for Misty and then I bought a copy for myself.
I read it and I maybe enjoyed reading 1/20 of the whole book.
And that wasn't cutting it for me.
Jodi writes hard to stomach stuff sometimes.
Her stories are far from happily ever after.
Yet, somehow I can't seem to stop. I hunger after her kind of darkness.
This book was a different kind of dark.
I seriously hurt while I was reading this book.
I would often put the book down and clutch my chest in dramatic Sharlee fashion.
Zach would ask, "What just happeneds."
Without going into a long-winded explanation (which I did do on some occasions) all I could usually answer was, "This book is too much. I can't handle it. It hurts me too much to read."

So I finished it and it was honestly a relief.

And I waited until Hawaii to purchase a book.

During Hawaii, I purchased two "Beach Reads" with every intention of reading them at the beach.
That definitely didn't happen.

Perhaps I would have enjoyed
Heart of the Matter
and
Best Friends Forever
more if I had been sunning on the beach.

Actually. No. I wouldn't have enjoyed Best Friends Forever at any time.
No way.
That book had the most ridiculous plot line.
I was actually embarrassed for the author and for myself.
It was silly to say the very least.

Anyhow. I am in need of a good book.

So...

Read any good books lately?

C'mon, help a girl out.

School's just about out...I need to do some serious reading!



5 comments:

The Hodgepodges said...

Well, you know me in a round about sorta way. ;) I'll just list a few books I enjoyed and you can cross off the ones you've already read.
The Help -Stockett, Kathryn
Barefoot -Hilderbrand, Elin
Little Earthquakes -Weiner, Jennifer
And I'm currently rereading Something Borrowed. Hope that helps.
I love Jodi Picoult too, but I actually got burnt out on her. It seemed to me the story always involved a court trial and so I stepped away from her books for a while to give myself a break.

Sharlee said...

Thanks, Selena. I have actually started reading your blog, too: ) I haven't commented yet, because I've been too chicken. I think I found it through Kami's blog. Anyway, I actually haven't read any of those books (except Something Borrowed which I did like). Misty is reading The Help and I am going to read it when she's done so I'm excited about that. I believe that I picked up Barefoot before our trip and put it back down for another choice so I'll have to go after that, too! Thanks for commenting!

The Cluffs said...

I've read The Help and it was really good. I don't know what kind of books you like beyond Picoult, but here are some of my suggestions:
The hunger games series (suzanne collins)
their eyes were watching god (Zora Neale Hurston)
housekeeping (Marilynne Robinson)
matched (it was ok but good enough to recommend)(Ally Condie)
my atonia (Willa Cather)
maze runner (James Dashner)
the secret adversary (Agatha Christie)
The guernsey literary and potato peel pie society
I read a lot of YA novels when I am not reading for school, it gives me a break from all of the heady thinking you have to do in school. Those books are from both worlds school and leisure for me. Kind of a wide variety...

rachel garber said...

We went to high school together and your link is on everybody's blogs so I have started to follow it as well.

Have you read the Guinesey Literary and Potato Peel Society? I found that one last year and fell in love with it. It's sweet and fun.

I've been too busy teaching to read anything for a while which makes me sad but I'm happy to see somebody who didn't like Water for Elephants - I haven't wanted to read it for that very reason!

if you want in on my blog: rachel.a.rasmussen@gmail.com and leave me your address.

MumofElderLarson said...

Well Rufie
I would comment but aside from the fact that I haven't read a real book for a while you are also kind of a book snob. :) I would say Women Food and God though as you bought me this