Friday, March 4, 2011

Life According to Mum

I'm so glad we had this time together
Just to have a laugh or sing a song
Seems we just get started and before you know it
Come the time we have to say, "So long."
Carol Burnett show

Well here goes. I am still not sure that any of you will fall in love with me, but I do know some of you that read Shar's blog love me already. Some of you don't, and that's truly okay. Shar loves me so that is all that truly matters to me in this endeavor. :) As this is out of my comfort zone.

I would like to write on good memories today. I think partly because my dad is not feeling well and I was talking to him today about some of his good memories and my Aunt Lorraine is in a fight of her life and she, too, is part of some of my very best memories.

1. First memory of my life...I was four years old and my baby brother, Danny, was in a walker and I fed him extra Numzit for his teeth and actually told my first lie, I believe, to my mother. It was all over his face and I told her he spit up something red. This was my first memory because my om caught me in a lie...4 years old.

2. Simple good memory from my childhood was a really cold winter with a ton of snow. We grew up in Garland, Utah and Danny, Cara, and I were all outside playing in it. We were pulling a sled around and making snowmen. We were out there for what seemed a very long time and when we came in, my om made us real homemade hot cocoa. Never in my life since then, have I tasted a hot chocolate that can rival that.

3. I had a really good childhood. We had lots of outside play time and dinner at the table with my family. My Grandma and Grandpa lived right next door to me. My parents were really good friends with my Aunt Lorraine and my Uncle Chris. They were not just brother-in-law and sister. My cousins were close to mine, Danny, and Cara's ages. We took so many camping trips with them, I cannot even begin to count them. Fresh trout for dinner and those cinnamon monkey bread things and sleeping in tents! Later on my dad got a brilliant idea to build us our own camper. Which in and of itself was amazing.

4. Me trying to make my grandma laugh because she had the coolest laugh ever. I used to mess around just to hear her laugh. My sister has a contagious laugh like that.

5.My mom and I riding bicycles together down the canal bank road.

6. Waiting up at night for my dad to come home from swing shift because my mom swore she heard a noise.

7. My mom bringing Will home in a little blue blanket with his full head of black hair. 5 days prior to that I had run down the halls at my high school yelling to my friends that I had a baby brother.

8. Meeting Todd and knowing by, I believe, the 3rd date with him that I was probably going to marry him. The best thing being the first time he told me he loved me.

9. Sharlee...This is an amazing, ongoing memory maker. I truly don't know how I lived without her for 3 years. She was such a pleasant and fun surprise in life. I took her everywhere with me. She was truly, instantly, my little friend. Now, watching all the things she does in her life and still being able to be a part of it. She is a walking adventure even in the everyday things. She is a lover of life.

10.Shane...this, too. What a whirlwind! The boy thing was indescribable and mind altering. I had to really pay so much more attention to what he was doing all of the time. He could be in a predicament in 10 seconds flat! I swore he was trying to kill me when he was little. But he was truly an amazing, wonderful ride! I still love to hear his next idea, trip, ball game,or work story. He has taken our family to unexpected places in his life.

I guess my point is this: The everyday little things are the things that create memories. And a life filled with good ones is a pretty big gift. Also, what we choose to keep as memories and what we choose to throw out, carves out the type of person we will become and how those around us will see the world.
"Memories are the treasures that we keep locked deep within the storehouse of our souls, to keep our hearts warm when we are lonely."--Becky Aligada

I think I would like to try to let go of some of my memories and try to carry the good ones with me more and I encourage you to, as well.

Do you have any good memories to share?



1 comment:

Misty said...

I love you Elise! You have been a part of so many of my good memories and I miss you!

Here are just a few:

-Watching the "Fireworks" with you and your family and then Sharlee and I reenacting the scene from "I am Sam" in the backseat of your car. You have always been so tolerant of us:)

-The April Fool's Day when Sharlee and I swapped our senior photos.

-My mother telling you her "Dead Pecker Row" story and you laughing!

-The day Sharlee and I were driving with you in your car and we discovered that we BOTH had BATON TWIRLING MOMS! :)

-This one does not involve you, but instead involves Todd, but the day Sharlee and I skipped school and were at your house at 10 in the morning watching a scene from Sharlee's soap opera and Todd came home. Despite the fact that it was 10 in the morning, he actually believed Sharlee when she told him we were on lunch break:)