Thursday, February 24, 2011

Why Not Luna's Plan?

Why I am opposed to Tom Luna's "Students Come First Plan":
1. First and foremost...I am passionate about public education.
I feel that the best way for students to learn and grow is through interaction with people who think differently than they do. I could go and and on about this but basically, I am scared that if this plan takes place--I will not be putting my own children in public school.
I always said no exceptions, but I did not see something as asinine as this coming.

2. This plan is a slap at educators plain and simple. I don't quite understand how our state superintendent doesn't respect educators but everything about how he has handled this clearly shows that he does not. When did teachers become the enemy? I don't understand this. Is it because we get weekends, holidays, and summers off? Do people think we honestly don't work and work hard? Is it because we have a union? I seriously don't know why the general public (not everyone but a vast majority) doesn't like teachers. Misty wrote me today and told me that there were lots of comments online at the Idaho Statesman as well as on Facebook about people being sick and tired of bad teachers being overpaid.
What a joke? Seriously?
I will tell you this. I love my students with all of my heart. I hate when the year ends. I miss them all summer. There is a heart and an art to what I do. I know their handwriting. I know who works slow and who works fast. I know which students will work well together and which ones won't. I know which lessons they'll like. All weekend I find little things that I can share with my students that I can manipulate into a grammar lesson, math problem, or tie into a story we've read. I am overwhelmed but I rarely complain about my job. It is tough, I will tell you that. I work long hours and I never work enough. My to-do list is never crossed off and my mind is never away from my students. I may not think about paperwork, newsletters, grading papers, or administration constantly. But my students? Yes. I can't tell you how many times our dinner conversation revolves around how cute or funny one of my students was. Or how my class united in an effort and I'm so proud. I can't tell you how many times I've been cuddling with Zach just about to fall asleep when I suddenly have to tell him something that happened today. Someone finally got a math problem or got a good grade on a test! Or the mornings while I'm getting ready when I tell Zach what we'll be learning that day. What we'll be learning, not they.
I don't complain. I appreciate the "perks" of teaching if you will.
I truly appreciate my job.
And trust me I know there are teachers who do complain. I KNOW it and it drives me crazy. C.R.A.Z.Y! But guess what. They are still working hard!! I promise. They are taking work home and working through the weekend. Cross my heart, they are.
I do not appreciate those who do not appreciate what I do simply based on assumptions.

3. Technology replacing teachers and replacing classroom interaction.
I don't buy it. I've taken online classes and they are a joke. Teachers are essential to a successful classroom. Peers are essential to a successful classroom. I can't tell you how many times I have been astonished with the creative thinking, the problem-solving skills, and the experiences my students share when we are working together. I benefit from their knowledge and so do the other students. One students converts time using this particular strategy and suddenly my students are understanding the strategy and using it. Everyone wins. I have taken online classes...I am the queen of B.S. ing and I made my way through those classes with flying colors. I didn't take them to learn. I took them to get easy credit. And I happen to think that's exactly what Luna did, too!

4. Pay for Performance
I was told (by a family member--if you will) that teachers that don't want pay for performance are lazy. EXCUSE me. Not the case. This bill is offensive. Why? It makes the assumption that I am able to do more, I just choose not to because I'm too busy whining about my low pay. But if you offer me a bonus...well then I will work a little harder. I will try that much more. I know I wrote about this a long long time ago, but my Educational Philosophies come from the works of Alphie Kohn
I agree with this guy almost ALL of the time, but my favorite of his books is:
Punished by Rewards.
I don't reward my students. They have a job to do and they should do it. End of story.
I have a job to do and I do my best. Every day.
No need for a bonus. It is offensive.
It also creates competition and destroys collaboration. Not really helping our students advance because we are no longer working together.
Plus--Money.

5. Can we say money?

6. Sending tax payer money to Virginia and wherever the state contracts for their technical support. Now in times of economic crisis that does not make sense to me.

7. Cutting jobs to send money out of state.

There are many more but I will stop here. I am disappointed in the choices of our lawmakers today. I just thought I would explain why.
I don't want to be ungrateful, though. I would like to publicly thank those that have worked hard in opposition to the bills and the senators who voted against them today!

2 comments:

Cody Stauffer said...

If I knew nothing about the plan at all, as a parent with a future student, I would oppose this plan on principle alone- that being it is EXTREMELY scary to hear that whoever has the money essentially gets to set the direction and curriculum/emphasis of teaching. It is a bad precedent to set.

justliloleme said...

Well written Sharlee! Now please make sure the senators who voted for the plan know you know who they are and will remember come election time. Also let the senators who voted against the plan know they have your support...
http://www.legislature.idaho.gov/senate/membership.cfm