Saturday, November 20, 2010

Letters--A Letter To Someone Who Has Caused A Lot of Pain During My Childhood

Are there people I could write to? Yes. I have been hurt--unquestionably. Do I want to? Not so much. So here's what I came up with:
You Know Who You Are,
Yes, you hurt me. All of you did. The effects of your choices came later in life...as I realized how little I was cherished. How unwilling you were to protect me. It still hurts at times. I love you, though. I am grateful for you. I am so blessed to have still had the rich upbringing that I did.
I turned out quite alright. I am proud of who I am. I would be proud of who I am no matter how many blemishes my childhood may or may not have had. Given the situation, I am extremely proud. I am humbled, though, too. As I realize there are so many who are not so lucky. So many who have far more reason that I do to lash out.
How did I get so lucky? I don't know. How come Heavenly Father chose to let me know who I was and how much He loved me so early on-I will never know. I am grateful for it every day. I share this knowledge with the world because I know there are others who may not know their worth and perhaps they could benefit from it. That's why I so often share...that and I am just overwhelmingly grateful.
I am blessed. I have learned to forgive and to love. I may not have perfected the act of forgiving (there are times I still get angry and yell about this and there are times I still cry). I try, though. I know that we are all children of a loving Father in Heaven. I know that we have an Elder Brother who loves us and makes it possible to recover from tragic events. I know that we are watched over constantly.
Some people question my forgiveness. Some may even judge it. I know it is the right thing to do. For it is not in me to remain so bitter or angry. I know that is not my purpose in life. I know I was made to love. I am so grateful for a Savior who makes it possible to heal, forgive, and love. I am also grateful for a Savior who makes it possible to repent and be forgiven. Trust me, I've had need of forgiveness many a time...and I know how it feels to feel unworthy. I would never wish that feeling on any of you. I would rather you knew you were loved.
The only thing I ask of you is to embrace this knowledge. I promise that when you do you will find peace and happiness in a unique form. I know this. I have experienced it for myself. It has guided me to where I am today.
"A child, a child, sleeping in the night. He will bring us goodness and light."

1 comment:

Bradley said...

very well put friend.