Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Letters--Letter to My Future Child

This is by far the most difficult letter so far. I thought these letters would be fun, but they're actually quite a bit of work for me. I was torn between just trying to be funny or should I be "sappy?" I am sappy and I am funny (at least I think so and so does my mom) so maybe it will be neither or maybe it will be both. Oh and by the way...Crystal is doing such a better job with these than I am. She is further along and I started a little before she did...and her letters are REALLY good.

Dear ____________,

Whether you are a boy or a girl, your dad and I already have your name picked out. However, your name is a secret from most people until we all meet you. I think you will like it.

I have no idea when you will join our home. I do look forward to the day that I meet you. I am so excited for that time! I will be honest, though, I am also terrified. I have the potential to be a good mother. I know I do. I want to be the best--I want you to love me the way that I love my mom. I hope I can be as good a mom as my mom. (You'll understand when you meet her. She's unbelievable.)

Your dad and I talk about you a lot. We've been talking about you since before we ever even kissed!! That's crazy, I know, but it's true.

We bought a house when we got married (a month before actually). We have two extra bedrooms. One of the bedrooms is designated your room. We talk about that. What it will be like when you're in there. That room feels different. I told your dad that just the other day. I feel different when I walk into it. I know that sounds very strange or weird but it's true.

I wonder what you will look like. Who will you look like? I hope you have your dad's eyes and his hair, too! I want you to have long limbs like me (it's just better that way:). I wonder if you will be tall. I hope you (and all of your siblings) are left handed (it's just better that way, too :) No matter what, though, I know I will love you so very much.

There are other things I wonder as well. Will you be emotional like me, or logical like your dad? How will I handle you if you are logical--especially if you are a girl? Will you be naturally smart like your dad or will I have to spend extra time tutoring you in math and teaching you study skills? Who will you act like? What will you want to be when you grow up? There is so much I cannot wait to learn about you!

I want to hear you laugh. I want to play with you. I want to make you breakfast and pack your lunches. I want to do your hair and take pictures of you. I look forward to planning birthday parties and doing cute things for you like my mom did for me. I hope to make you feel so so loved.

Your dad and I want to have sleep-overs in the living room. We want to make forts. We want to take fun vacations with you. We have so much planned.

I want to teach you where you come from and who you are a child of God. I want you to know that to your very core...I am so fortunate that I was taught that as a child.

I want to love you and I want you to know it. I don't ever want you to feel for a second like I want you gone, grown up, or that I need a break from you. I want you to know how much you are loved at all times.

As much as I love you I will tell you what I would prefer. I would prefer that you do not ever get seriously injured (meaning: no trips to the hospital). No throwing up (baby throw up is fine...after about 2....please no more). I would prefer you to be angelic (like I was :) Please be healthy, strong, and happy. And above all else...PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE have brown hair.

I know that when I do meet you it will be the right time. There will be a purpose for us being brought together. We will learn from each other. I already know that I love you. When the time is right, we have a spot for you.

Love,


Your Mom

2 comments:

Elise said...

OK I AM LIKING THIS LITTLE BLOG THING TOO..

DEAR SHARLEE AND ZACHS FUTURE CHILD

I HOPE YOU ARE UNDER MY CHRISTMAS TREE NEXT YEAR :)

Crystal said...

Thank's so much for your letter's. I am so excited for you to be a mother. I know that you will be wonderful. I also hope that you have a little one soon. It will be beautiful.