Saturday, September 6, 2008

Love is in the air....

That's Right!
I am absolutely and completely in love with my job! I am really reluctant to say so much already. I pray that it stays this way, I truly do. I have never been happier. There's so much that I love about 5th grade. Wow! I am truly in heaven. They're funny, they're compassionate, they're amazing! I am loving teaching. There's no way to even compare my 3rd grade experience to this. It's so completely different. I'm not sure what it is...the staff, the principal, the kids, having my own lesson plans and structure? It hasn't been easy. My students are already struggling with math (we've been learning about the Distributive Property) and it's difficult for me and they're already so discouraged. I'm incredibly ill-prepared. I have no idea what I'm doing. But I don't leave wishing the day was over. I don't ache for 4:00. I like seeing my class every morning. It's like on the episode of Friends where Rachel has her baby. Emma is sleeping when she first brings her home from the hospital and Rachel goes, "I miss her right now." Rachel proceeds to wake her up. When the kids first get to class I ask them to silently read (that's the only time I can fit in silent reading time and it works well) and I have a hard time waiting for the time period. Actually, I don't think I've given them the full 20 minutes yet...I just can't wait to start talking to them :) Sometimes I wonder if I'm not really meant to teach--however, because there's still SO much kid in me. Let me tell you about Friday afternoon:

So...I'm supposed to be teaching the states and capitals. The thing is...I don't see a purpose in this. It's not being tested and while I feel geography is a very important subject matter...I don't think memorization is the key. It's just one of those things I don't believe in. There's no need or crucial reason to teach the states and capitals. I was taught this very thing...in 5th grade as a matter of fact--and I still can't locate MOST states and certainly most capitals. Anyway, I have to teach it and I don't even know how. Teaching students how to memorize things like this was NOT something I got a degree in. There wasn't a single class on that (and I wonder why?!) So...I decide that I'll teach them the "Fifty Nifty United States" song and go from there. We'll locate the states on a map and move forward. I mention this to Deb (another 5th grade teacher...I student taught for her and I LOVE her) and she sends one of her students down with a CD which she thinks she has the music for that song. Well...I try it out WITH the kids in the room and it's NOT "Fifty Nifty United States" it's something SO much better. It's a publication called Twin Sisters (I'm assuming that the two ladies are actually twin sisters which is what makes it all the better) and it's a country-twangy and very catch song and my class LOVED it! They laughed and got a tiny bit out of control...some told me they wanted to add it to their IPOD and wanted copies. It's brilliant and SO SO great. I laughed and got a little out of control with them...I worry that I'm not always the grown-up I need to be. But I must say...I'm sure having fun!
Follow this link for a clip of the song...you have to click forward about half way..some random song plays to introduce the listing of the states. It's so great...please listen and be a kid again...
This whole experience just reminds me of this little obsession Shane and I had. Mom took us to see a similar guy--he sang kids songs for a living...and we LOVED his tape. We listened to it over and over again!! Here's a link to something of his that we loved...listen in celebration of my brother and I and our incredible mom:) Seriously...look at us...he loved me so much! Thanks mom! I love my life!!!
go here and click listen. You can find more of his music at
Alright. I'm done being obsessive. Kids are great. Being a kid is great! Enjoy!!


2 comments:

Sarah said...

I love you so much! Glad that your job is going well! You'll have to post pictures of your class soon. I love reading the stories of your classroom :)

Arty4ever said...

For another way to memorize the 50 US states and capitals. Check out: www.rightbrainedlearner.com