Monday, January 12, 2009

Despite everything, I believe that people are really good at heart."--Anne Frank

Okay so I don't know how to "blog" this well but I'm going to try. So...we all know that my life took a rather drastic turn over the holidays. In fact, I would say it's been turned upside down and I'm still a little in denial that it happened at all. I lost my Grandma. Not only a piece of our family missing but I'd say it's actually the framework that's been taken. The morning that it happened I think I may have been in shock or just hurting too badly to actually display it all. In fact, I would say that's how it still is. The loss I feel is entirely too much, so I think I take pieces at a time and deal with them. I don't think I'll ever stop missing her. I shouldn't. She was absolutely one of my best friends and such a staple in my life. She was an escape and a strength that I won't find anywhere else...and wouldn't want to if I could. Nonetheless I do have a strong faith in eternal families and do believe I can be with her again. In the meantime, however, I'm going to keep talking about her, telling my kids about her, crying over her, etc. The loss of my grandma is not the purpose of this blog, though. The purpose is to tell you that, in case you didn't know, people are good. People are so good. I just needed you to understand my devastation before continuing.

The morning that we lost my grandma is a memory that I try to forget. It was painful. Our family was crammed into a waiting room that the hospital staff convinced us to visit, probably because we were making visitors uncomfortable as I sat, doubled over, in front of the elevators (somehow social graces escape you at times like that). We took turns hugging, bawling, remembering, in this little room. As we did so we were able to visit with two ministers from the hospital chapel. They talked with us and asked us questions about my grandma. They knew that we just needed to tell them who she was. They asked about her relationship with each one of us. They offered us comfort. Yes, I know it was their job, but they went above and beyond.

The nurse who gave us the news was aching, and it was clear. The nurse on duty in my grandma's room followed my mom and I out to hug us as we left the hospital that morning. She told us she was so sorry. She didn't have to do that.

I had called Misty and Zach and I had been texting that morning prior to even going to the hospital. I called Misty and she cried with me. I texted Zach and he was at my house waiting for me before I even got there. He is a new addition to our family and he stayed with me all day.

Ken texted me his condolences. Jake and Tara texted me their condolences as Zach filled them in. Natasha and Austin texted Zach to let him know the situation and to see how I was doing. Mind you, I have not known them long, at all. Texts may seem informal, but it's just that someone says they're sorry. Just acknowledging that I lost something meant EVERYTHING to me at the time.

We spent the day at my grandpa's house; looking through old photographs and searching for important documents that would be needed. Although Kira is a massive part of our family now, I still feel the need to thank her for crying with us and making us laugh at the same time. We laughed in that room that same day and it was much needed.

While at my grandpa's the Relief Society President stopped by. (Please keep in mind that the roads were bad and it was TWO days before Christmas). She wanted to know what size temple dress to buy my grandma. She proceeded to pick it up for her and bring it by later with dinner. How she had the time, or found a way to offer the time to help our family in this way, I do not know. I do know, however, that we were incredibly appreciative. I do love the church for all of those little things as well. The Relief Society stepping in like that and catering the funeral, setting up the tables, and bringing dinners to us. It's really remarkable actually. What charity can do.

As the days passed the goodness of people just became more clear. Misty and her mother brought us cookies and incredibly sympathetic cards that meant so much to my family. Ken and Misty offered me their home. I wouldn't have to wake up alone the day of the funeral. Not only would I not be alone, but I would be with someone who understood. Misty and her mom spent most of their Monday at the funeral, burial, and luncheon. Sarah texted and wrote and offered to give me time. She recently lost her grandparents, she not only knew ,but she cared. When Jonnie found out I got a text from him...I knew he understood. He knows how important my grandma was to me. His text made me cry...as did the ones to follow. Jessica and then Josh. Like I said, simply acknowledging it meant more than anything.

Zach's dad put his hand on my shoulder on Christmas Eve and asked me how I was. He followed it up with a few messages telling me to keep my chin up "All is well!"Many other people were incredible; Cathy offered prayers and thoughts, the funeral director was AMAZING--so kind and genuine, the man who put together the slide show (he and his wife both cried with us), my grandpa's home teachers who indulged him and watched the slide show (one of them even cried), Tara and Jen cried with me at church. Carma sent me a card and then emailed me to check up on me. Mom's work sent her flowers. Dad's family sent flowers. Family through marriage called, wrote, and sent condolences.

I feel blessed to see the good through something I consider so tragic. I want to publicly thank those of you who took part in that. Thank you! Those actions have helped strengthen me...I love you! I love the good in people...I am so grateful to KNOW that it really is there!

People are good.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Well, you know that I do understand what you are going thru. It does take time. I still break down when someone mentions either of my grandparents. I had a dream soon after my grandma's death, in which they were both still alive. I was so crushed when I woke up and realized it was just a dream. (I'm crying now as I'm writing this; partly because i'm talking about my grandparents, and partly because I hurt for you.) I love you so much and I wish I could be with you and give you a huge hug. If you need ANYTHING, that I can help you with from Oregon, let me know. Love you and miss you!

Crystal said...

Sharlee I'm so sorry to hear about your Gram's. I lost my grandma in 2006 right after I moved back from Boise. We were so close. Right before she died she said, "Crystal, it doesn't matter everyone will forget me anyway." I visit her grave frequently. A year after she died I left a note on her headstone. In my letter I told her that everyone tells me death get's easier especially because your in a better place, but the people who leave our lives leave a hole in our heart. I still don't feel complete without my grandma. I miss her everyday, but I'm so grateful for the life that she lived, and for me being a part of it. In reality my grandma is part of me, and that is a part I will never forget.